Mountain Biking 101:Recording and Saving Data Using Mobile Applications

This image was taken during one of my island adventures ride at Island Garden City of Samal, Davao del Norte


MY MOUNTAINBIKING ADVENTURE

I think everybody would agree with me when I say that we were once young and full of energy and enthusiasm, we would like to try or experience new things out of the box and outside of the comforts of our home. The thing is, not everybody in the family circle agrees with your plans and most of all, doesn't give full financial or even moral support.

I used to dream of owning a bicycle and a walkman during my high school days. For me, it's something very rewarding when thinking of myself riding through the suburban streets while listening to my favorite collection of music in cassette tapes. Honestly, I didn't stand the chance of having these precious things in my life. To cut the long story short, I will not call it a failure but a challenge.

Fast forward to the year 2006 when I had the chance of being hired as a public school teacher here in Davao City. It was the time when music players like the MP3 were selling like hotcakes from a simple downtown store to the cozy and expensive malls. Since I have now the money to spend in lieu of my childhood frustrations, I started with buying myself a 128 MB MuVo music player, a touchscreen  Samsung Galaxy Young mobile phone, which I used to download the Strava application to record my rides along the busy streets of Davao City at night together with an organization we call Davao Dafolding Society. By this time, I was still saving for the customized mountain bike that I have right on top of this blog.

You might be wondering, when is this talkative author give us what we wanna see and read based on the given title. Chill folks because I am going to give you the first two images of the application I was telling you right from the very start. Before the rest of the story, here is a screenshot of a terrain map and all the vital information you can see when you use the application while hiking, running and in this case, mountain biking.

Image 1


Image 2 


Based on these images, I think I have no reason at all to get frustrated again with what I use not to have during my childhood days. Technology is really amazing because, from these images, you could see the fruits of your labor, the value of your sacrifice and especially not to mention, the health benefits that you can get from mountain biking.

To effectively get all the necessary data of your ride, simply open the application on your mobile phone and once you're there, press start and your timer starts to run as you pedal your way to whenever you would want your wheels to go. With a great help from  this application, while accessing and turning on  locations on your mobile phone's GPS, you could view right after your activity the distance you covered in kilometers, the uphills, and downhills of the terrain you have conquered, the time you spent or consumed during your ride and most of all, the number of calories you burned out of that sweating body.

Here, you could save your data on the application and if you decide to upload your achievements over social media later after your ride, you could even see for yourself the surrounding places you still would like to explore in the terrain map  and the best part is looking at the red, crooked lines on the map and telling yourself with great honor and pride ," I made those marks, I did it well and I love  the way it turned out".

But wait, if you think you are not yet convinced, I would be willing and happy to tell you that while accessing your data on your desktop or laptop, GPS allows your application to enhance your data using unique features like Street View. This means that with your application running, you will be able to view not only the streets you had gone through but also the turns you made, the stops you need to comply while on traffic and more importantly, the part of the ride where you had the slowest and the fastest sprint. Now tell me, isn't it amazing at all? Say yes and we'll all be glad to hear a big and deafening round of applause from a crowd of fans or followers right after we are declared  MTB race champions (in our dreams๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š).

I would like you to be satisfied with what I was able to tell you right here, right now. I am well aware that you too, had the same disappointments or frustrations way back then; but as a familiar maxim says:" Life is what you make out of it". Then, let's do the things that make us happy. Help save our Mother Earth from air pollution for us and our future generations. Thanks for dropping by and see you on my next blog. Comments are welcome and well-appreciated. Ciao!!!!

Related images:

Image 3



Image 4



Comments

Popular Posts